Iran, Syria to Remain Committed to 30-Day Ceasefire: Top General
Breaking, gallery, Image, Iran, Media, Middle East, News, Syria 25 February 2018

Iran’s highest-ranking military commander says both Tehran and Damascus will adhere to the ceasefire resolution, but parts of the suburbs of Damascus controlled by the terrorists are not subject to the ceasefire.

Major General Mohammad Baqeri, the Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces, told reporters on Sunday that the Iranian and Syrian governments will stick to the 30-day ceasefire approved by the UN Security Council, but certain parts of Damascus suburbs are still under the control of the terrorists and operations to clear these regions from terrorists will continue.

“As in previous cases, those who do not want the security and tranquility of Syria once again came forth with the idea of truce when they saw the Syrian army and government want to clear the suburbs of Damascus.”

According to a Farsi report by Tasnim News Agency, Baqeri said the Syrian army is seeking to clear its territories from terrorists in order to provide security for the people of Damascus, but so far 1,200 mortar shells have been fired at Damascus to disturb the security and calm of the people.

Therefore, he added, mop-up operations must be continued in these regions.

“The Western Front and the supporters of terrorists were insisting that the ceasefire must be implemented. With a joint effort by Syrians and the friends of Syria along with the opponents of terrorists, including Iran and Russia, this resolution has been slightly moderated, and the fight against the notorious terrorists, such as al-Nusra Front will continue,” he underscored.

He further noted that certain safe zones were specified, in which security and tranquility will be provided for the people and the ceasefire will be implemented so that people in these areas could continue their normal lives.

“However, the terrorists would not continue to exist, and the whole Syria will be cleared from terrorists within the next few months.”

The UN Security Council has unanimously approved a 30-day ceasefire in Syria to allow for what they call humanitarian aid deliveries and medical evacuations in war-ravaged areas.

The resolution called for all parties to “cease hostilities without delay” across the country to enable the “safe, unimpeded and sustained delivery of humanitarian aid and services and medical evacuations of the critically sick and wounded.”

The geographic scope of the cease-fire covers the conflict across Syria, except where military operations are underway against the ISIS, the al-Nusra front, Al Qaeda affiliated groups, and any other groups designated as terrorist organizations, according to the Security Council.

The UN Secretary General António Guterres had called for a ceasefire earlier this week.



Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *